Graduate Degrees in Space and Planetary Sciences
For Application to the SPAC graduate programs submit the following items to the Graduate Coordinator:
Application Deadline January 1 for Fall Admission
- Graduate School application
- GRE Scores
- Personal statement of interests in the program
- Three letters of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae
- Official transcripts from all colleges you have attended
Send these documents to:
Dr. John Dixon, Graduate Coordinator
Space and Planetary Sciences Program
Department of Geoscience
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
The Arkansas Center for Space and Planetary Sciences in partnership with the departments of Biological Sciences, Chemistry/Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Geosciences, Mechanical Engineering, and Physics offers the following graduate degree programs and program options:
- Ph.D. in space and planetary sciences
- M.S. in space and planetary sciences
- Ph.D. in biology with a concentration in space and planetary sciences
- M.S. in geology with a concentration in space and planetary sciences
- M.A. in geography with a concentration in space and planetary sciences
- Ph.D. in physics with a concentration in space and planetary sciences
The hours of required coursework are similar in all courses, but for the specialization courses, the departmental electives are replaced by courses in the space and planetary sciences. For the M.S. and Ph.D. in space and planetary sciences the coursework is as follows:
- Space and Planetary Science General Courses
- Planetary Astronomy Core Area Course
- Planetary Atmospheres Core Area Course
- Planetary Geology Core Area Course
- Orbital Mechanics and Astronautics Core Area Course
- Origin and Evolution of Life Core Area Course
Students are required to take all of the general courses, four of the core courses in each of the area courses, and electives from within the area that best suits their interests.
Why take one of these new degrees in space and planetary sciences?
- The new courses offer a unique training for individuals who want careers in the space and planetary sciences - you will be highly competitive in filling positions with the civilian, industry and military space endeavor.
- The new courses offer a unique blend of in-depth study in your chosen discipline within space and planetary and a broad understanding of what it takes to be successful in the exploration of space.
- In addition to state-of-the-art research and education experiences, the new courses offer a unique experience with popular writing, ethics and entrepreneurship, eagerly sought after by employers.
- Internships at national laboratories provide a valuable research contribution and introduction to the national space network of jobs and career possibilities.
- The package has been skillfully designed so these things can be achieved without making the total duration of the program longer than traditional programs.